Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Soul At Rest

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Phil.4:6-7)

The word for "peace" here describes "the tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and content with its earthly lot, of whatsoever sort that is," and also alludes to the Jewish way of "leavetaking," in which one wishes the other peace in departing; however, in this case, God does not simply "wish" peace for us, He GIVES peace through Christ. 
This peaces is what guards my heart and my mind. The word for "guard" describes a sense of protecting by holding one close. 


When I let my requests be made known to God with a still thankful heart, the promise of a soul at rest will wrap itself around my mind and guard it from conjuring up anxious thoughts.


I am so thankful for this because "there is no grace for your imagination (Elizabeth Elliot)." That is so evident in our anxious thoughts, worries, and fears.  Those thoughts are not covered in grace, and they are dangerous. Praise be to Him who is able to guard our minds!

Return to your rest, O my soul, for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you (Psa.116:7).

The word for "rest" here describes rest, or security, for a woman (also in Ruth 3:1, describing security in marriage). I can rest in His sovereign hand, by His peace that guards.

God is not a man, that He should lie (Num.23:19).

"Lie" = to break one's fidelity
The LORD is faithful and His promises are true. 



~Olivia

1 comment:

  1. I love my daughter. I am blessed by your words that He places in your spirit and that you share with us.

    Honored to be your mom...
    :)

    ReplyDelete